Friday, April 18, 2014

Coming out of the closet (not in the way you think. Although I would totally do Anna Kendrick...just sayin')

I've been blogging since 2010, about a year after the whole, "HEY I WANNA WRITE A BOOK!" part of my life started.

Since then, I've confided in my writerly journey to: my mother, other writers, my closest friends, and a handful of other people.

Coming out (so to speak) to people is tough. Especially when you're struggling just to put words on a page, let alone trying to master the art of storytelling, character development, thematic nuances, dialogue, juggling multiple plot arcs...it goes on, and on, and on.

The truth is (and if you've read my way past blog posts, you know this already), when I first started writing, I sucked. Like really sucked. And to be honest, I'm still not that great. But one of the many the draws (for me), and the point of this whole part of my life is that it's something that I can learn. I can grow. I can get better.

Someday, I'm not going to suck so much. As a matter of fact, I suck less than I did five years ago, and that's exciting. That's thrilling, actually.

I think this is GENERALLY true for anyone who pursues any kind of art. When you first start out, you're not that great. You have to learn-just like with anything else-and it takes time and a whole lot of work to build your skills. For me, it took me longer than the average bear. I don't know why. I'm special like that. But it was a good thing! It was a humbling thing. Most things I've tried, I pick up fairly quickly. Not so with writing, and that's okay.

The point, I guess, is that I didn't give up. I could have. I thought about it, occasionally. But then an idea would grip me and it wouldn't let me go and I had to get it out there.

I'm so pleased that I didn't give up after the first year (or the second, or the third, or the fourth...). I didn't let the fact that I knew I wasn't that great stop me from continuing to try.

And now I have something to share with the world. Something that will let them escape for a few hours, something that will make people laugh (hopefully), and that's a great feeling.

So, yes. I am coming out of the closet to...everyone.

My name is Mary Frame, and I am a writer.

(it doesn't say GOOD writer, it just says writer, you see that?)





2 comments:

  1. True and all.

    But you ARE a really good writer Mary Frame. I can almost forgive you for throwing over your first works in fantasy and paranormal to write what you do now. I might never read it but I always thought your drafts were terrific. I'm still working on a really HARD second-person narrative because YOU had the bright idea with that years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet, Will! And I'm not giving up on fantasy and paranormal (and I have a sci-fi up my sleeve!). I am sure it will all come out, eventually :)

      Maybe I'm too harsh on myself, but it did take me FOREVER to write something I didn't totally hate. Ugh, self criticism is a beyotch!

      Delete