Thursday, March 27, 2014

Cover Lovin' Had Me a Blast

Hello lovely people! I'm home today because my daughter turned into Pukey McPukerson last night, so after obtaining approximately four hours of sleep, I thought, hey I can blog today! It seems like a good idea although random nonsense may emerge periodically, and tomorrow I might decide this was a bad decision.

Oh, well.

So, my cover should be ready within the next few weeks, and in honor of me rending my hair in nervous anticipation, I decided to give out some cover lovin'. Below, I give you a combination of my most favorite covers, and some hilarious covers. To kick it off, a cover by the designer I hired for my novel.


I lurve this cover. This is the reason I hired Regina Wamba at Mae I Design. One of the best romance cover's I've seen. And I don't generally like covers with people on them for some reason, I usually prefer fairly simple covers, like the ones below.


This Charming Man
Nice colors, nothing too crazy. I love this. And this is an awesome, hilarious, tragic book, btw.


Summer on the Short Bus
AND THIS ONE OMGERD! This is a great cover, and I'm not just saying that because I know and love the writer, Bethany Crandell. It's so perfect for this book. And it's simple, clean, bright and cheery...I love it so much, I want to rub it all over my body. Oh, wait, I have a copy so I will do that right now. If you would like to join me, buy your own here: Summer On The Short Bus


I saw an article the other day about the trend of book covers beginning to lean toward more typographically inclined, as opposed to faces and people. I stole this image from there: Write All the Words: Author and Poet E. Kristin Anderson and I have to say, I really like all of these. I think that Ms. Anderson is correct in that covers like this have more universal appeal, and could lead to gaining readers who may not have picked up a book otherwise.
Say, if it looked like the one below.




This might not be a bad novel, but...what are they looking at? What's with the thousand mile stare and the hair blowing in the wind? I guess it IS a NASCAR novel. Oh, look, the cars are going around, and around, and around. Hey, they just completed another lap! (I really shouldn't judge to harshly. I read somewhere once that Harlequin sells four books every second or something completely ridiculous like that.)

Ahhh Fabio...giving romance novels a bad rap since 1982. I mean seriously, there's a lot of really awesome, wonderful, clever romance novels out there but they have these awful cheeseball covers! Every single one of them have shirtless men, scantily clad women, and poses that would make anyone else look like fools. They're embarrassing to buy and/or read in public. Thank god for Kindle. And the titles! "Defy Not the Heart" what does that even mean?


So there you have it. Some book cover lovin' and laughing. 

Coming soon: I was tagged by the delectable Precy Larkins for a "Writing Process Blog Tour," so stay tuned for the next blog installment! In the meantime, good night and good luck. 

8 comments:

  1. YES! Summer on the Short Bus! And I haven't noticed that trend but that's so cool! Especially since I ADORE typographic pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Nikki! Much more pristine and non-embarrassing whilst waiting in line at the DMV! Thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome!! Thanks for the cover/book love, sweets!
    And it's pretty obvious from my vantage point that the NASCAR folks are eyeing that tornado that's heading straight toward them. Mobile homes flying every which way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! You crack me up! The guy on the cover should have a mullet. Don't you agree?

      Delete
  3. This is awesome! It's amazing what comes out of your brain when you haven't slept and have been cleaning up puke for several hours...Love ya! Glad Pukey is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne! Love your face! I am glad she is better too. She was good all day, even wanted to play outside (which was a big fat no way), but now she's seeming a little sleepy...oh well, this too shall pass!

      Delete
  4. Ohmigosh, I CANNOT wait to see YOUR cover! And I totally agree with you--Regina Wamba makes beautiful cover designs. I'm sure she'll do a great job with yours.

    LOL on the NASCAR romance novel. I think my mom used to read Harlequin novels so I was exposed pretty early on to scantily clad women and Fabio on book covers. It's a miracle I didn't turn out as messed up as someone who's been exposed to Fabio should be. Bwahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see my cover either! Eeeeeep...waiting sucks! You could never turn out messed up because you are full of innate sweetness, Fabio be damned!

      Delete