Saturday, June 18, 2011

Quote-a-licious Saturday

Okay, so I'm not done with my book yet. I want the plot to at least have a semi-coherent structure before I declare my rough draft officially DONE, so that means I'm not ready to post about revision yet, but I want to post SOMETHING! I need to blog because I love it (and I love ALL of you. Yes, even you, with the mouse creeping towards the back button, ESPECIALLY you) so I decided to post some of my most favoritest writing related quotes. Because I LURVE quotes (I'm just full of love on this fine Saturday).

If you have any good quotes you would like to share, please do! I'm always on the lookout for a good bit of inspiration.

So here they are, may they inspire you and fill you with love (for me, of course.)


"The secret of life, though, is to fall seven times and to get up eight times." - Paulo Coelho from "The Alchemist" (If you haven't read anything by Paulo Coelho, go do it RIGHT NOW!)

"Get it down. Take chances. It may be bad, but it's the only way you can do anything really good." - William Faulkner

"There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein." - Walter Wellesley "Red" Smith

"The worst enemy to creativity is self doubt." - Sylvia Plath

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." - Anton Chekhov

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." - Isaac Asimov

"It is impossible to discourage the real writers - they don't give a damn what you say, they're going to write." - Sinclair Lewis

"First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do." - Epictetus

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." - Wayne Gretzky 

"Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently." - Henry Ford

"Never, never, never give up."- Winston Churchill


Have a great weekend everybody! Catch you on the flip side ;)

10 comments:

  1. I have one: A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit. --Richard Bach

    Love the Chekhov quote above.Can I borrow that for a future post I plan on writing: Show vs. Tell?

    Have a great weekend, beautiful! ;) And thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you can use the Chekov quote, Cherie! (silly girl) Can't wait for your post :)

    That's a good one, too, the Bach quote. And SO TRUE!

    Love your guts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. “I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.” -Robert McCloskey.

    I couldn't have said it any better myself. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm such a fan of quotes. I even programmed a Java-script code to select a random quote for the entry page of my homepage. I'll definitely nick a few of yours. Here are some from my collection:

    It's never too late to be who you could have been. ~ Anonymous

    Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain. ~ Krisz daughter

    The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time unlike, say, brain surgery ~ Robert Cormier (1925-2000)

    Fairytales don't tell children that dragons exist. Children already know this instinctively. Fairytales tell children that dragons can be killed. ~ G. K. Chesterton

    Not every story has explosions and car chases. That's why they have nudity and espionage. ~ Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum, Unshelved, 09-14-08

    Good luck with the upcoming revision. P.S.: I also love the word verification. The words they come up with are great stuff for naming things and creatures in fantasy-worlds. This time its tasemat. What if that would be an edible mat that changes flavor with every bite?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bethany: I have no idea what you just said. :P

    Hey Cat! Great quotes! I've seen Krisz's daughters quote, love it.

    Hmmm..an edible mat, sounds like something you might find in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. Although, I might be suspicious if it's a floor mat. I'm not inclined to eat something that's been trod on :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A couple of my favorites:

    Did you ever hear of a man who had striven all his life faithfully and singly toward an object and in no measure obtained it? If a man constantly aspires, is he not elevated?

    Did ever man try heroism, magnanimity, truth, sincerity, and find that there was no advantage in them, that it was a vain endeavor?
    --Henry David Thoreau


    The first kind of failure is the slow fail -- not failing fast enough or explicitly enough. You can waste a lot of time this way.
    --Geoffrey Moore

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your purty new page layout! (And black on white is SO much easier to read. I wish to tell many bloggers that.) The quotes you chose are great and inspirational; thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Grumpy Buddy! Nice to see you around. Love Thoreau. Also, I checked out the site that had Jim Butcher's take on writing the middle. Loved it :)

    Hey Jenny, yeah, I liked the red and black, but you are right. Black on white MUCH easier to read ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha!!! The first quote is my FaceBook fave quote! Go lool (no seriously. look).

    Nice list, Mare. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary - I stole the Faulkner quote from your WSE sig line. HA! And I looked at your FB quote. Great minds, my friend, great minds....

    ReplyDelete