Monday, May 23, 2011

Writing the LOVE, baby

Before we talk about writing romance, a word from Bret and Jermaine to get you in the mood...





Now that you're all ready, (and hopefully wearing nothing but socks) there are some important things you need to know before you start writing romance, or including a romantic subplot into your novel. Which I highly recommend at least having a romantic slant to your fiction because let's face it people, romance sells as I pointed out in this blog post here.

The number one best ingredient/tip/nonsense I can give you about creating tension of the romantic kind between two characters is this: they have to be aware of each other.

Not just, "Oh, yeah, there's that dude and he's hot" awareness. No, no, no, my friends. Your love interests need to be hyper aware of each other.

I touched on how important it is to have a self-aware character here. But when you're making busy with the romance, your character needs to be more aware of their soon-to-be-significant-other than of any other character.

Even if they don't like them at first. And they need to let the reader in on what they're thinking or realizing about that person as they get it. We (the readers) need to watch them fall in love. So you (the writer) need to make each scene between them count.

Keeping that in mind, the quickest way to make the sexual tension disappear (like a bottle of wine in my house) is to have the characters admit their feelings too early in the story. They need to be unsure of each other and play off of each other's uncertainty to keep the reader on edge and turning pages.

Sexual tension = unsatisfied attraction.

Make sure there's a good reason they can't get together right away, and at the same time put them in a situation where they are pretty much forced to be around each other a lot (i.e. they each need something that the other has or can provide).

It's not easy, but I know you can do it!

Now get down to business.
(and good luck!)

7 comments:

  1. Yes to all points above. Everyone needs a little love. ;D

    Great post, Mare!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect video, Mare!

    Sexual tension if fun to write, though I think I'm just starting to get the hang of it. Love your advice, to throw them together while they can't act on their attraction. I'm all over that right now in my WiP. Oh, yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I think the tension is the most important part and is often far more erotic and satisfying than the end product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not tried my hand at writing romance yet...but maybe you have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A little tension is good for everybody.
    Nice post, you sassy little hooker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whew, what a sexy video. LOL! That's about right, BTW. Foreplay wears a whole different face once you've been married over a decade. HA!

    Thanks for the great tips. Romance is one of my favorite things to write, and read, for that matter. Now, it's biznus time. Gonna go find the hubs. Hee

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been tagged by the meme! http://thepartypony.blogspot.com/2011/05/writing-is-like-river-trip.html

    ReplyDelete