Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Lookie here! YOU could be the next big winner!

It's not money. Don't get too keyed up.

Okay, before we get to the super thrilling chance to WIN A BOOK!
(nothing makes me more excited, except maybe Colin Firth),
you have to see this.

I found it on thinkgeek.com (it's like my homeland)



That, my friends, is canned unicorn meat. Glitter in every bite.
You'll be pooping rainbows for days.
But, alas, I'm not giving away unicorn meat (not today, anyways), today I am giving away a brand new sparkling copy of...



Beginnings, Middles and Ends by Nancy Kress!!



I've read it twice. It's amazing. You won't poop rainbows, but your MS or WiP will benefit, no doubt.

And winning is easy!

All you have to do is tell me in the comments your best, most favorite, most AH HA! writing tip. Maybe it's something you've read somewhere that stuck with you, maybe it's an inspirational quote,
maybe it's something that hit you upside the head like a giant can of unicorn meat.
Whatever, just learn us all something good, okay?

Entries accepted beginning NOW, and you have until
Saturday morning to comment.
Winner will be chosen randomly and announced whenever I wake up and decide to roll out of bed on Saturday.
(which is unfortunately early because my daughter is the spawn of satan.)

Good luck!




8 comments:

  1. Here it is, and this one may surprise you. It's from my sister, who had been writing for years before I even thought about tapping stories on keyboard.

    "Hey, Mary...you might want to join an online writer's forum. I know a great one." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!! Poor unicorns! Okay, I'm starting to rethink your Food 4 thought award. Maybe you should've been up for the Mad Hatter one. Hmmm.

    Don't put me in the drawing (I already have that gem of a book) but I still would like to share a writing tip that's always stuck w/me.

    In Stephen King's autobiography "ON WRITING", he was talking about suspending the reader's disbelief and said, (I'm paraphrasing here because I don't have the book beside me) "You are an author of fiction, so therefore you make a living on lies. But your characters must always be honest. If something is true and real to them, it will be true and real to your reader."

    EXCELLENT POST!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and LOL on Mary's tip! Love it! :) So much truth in that simple statement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is not exactly a writing tip, but it's something I heard and use in my writing:

    I once heard someone say that everyone in your dreams is actually you. Even if it's you talking to someone else, you are both people because YOUR brain made them both up. This sounds weird but actually makes sense to me, not just for dreams, but also for my characters. Even when I am so different from my characters, they are some part of me. This helps me write because I can channel those parts of me when I'm writing. I feel like I'm writing how those characters would really act or speak instead of just making it up as I go along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if this is international but I'll share a quote I keep throwing around the blogosphere.
    Don't get it right, just get it written. -James Thurber
    It's keeping me plowing through the first draft even when I can sense the weight of suck behind me. I must resist the urge to edit or I'd never finish. Plus, this way I have line edits to look forward to.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best tip I've picked up lately is from Jenilyn Tolley's blog: "Enter a scene late and leave it early."

    Great contest, Mary! I like these quick and easy contests with aweomse prizes:) (Oh, and I gave you an award on my blog today...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My best writing tip: Seek out other writers to pal around with who can't write to save their lives. The benefits are two-fold: 1) Your stuff always reads better than theirs, and 2) People will think you're benevolent for befriending losers like them.

    (Side question: Are you seriously 90% happy for other people when they get repped, or requests for fulls?! What are you striving for knighthood or something?!)

    Sarcasm runs rampant in San Diego on Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the can of unicorn meat--pooping rainbows, indeed!
    Here's a tip I got in grad school: Try giving away your biggest secret at the very beginning of your story. Then see where you go from there. It just might surprise you.

    ReplyDelete