(Don't worry, last five commandments of creating characters who don't totally suck is coming...I only have two more in my draft!)
I found this on a blog somewhere and thought I would share because it's cool.
Seven Steps to Writing – and Finishing – Your Novel, by William Bernhardt
1. Develop commitment. Getting started is the hardest part. Establish a writing schedule and stick to it. Find the time!
2. Build up your premise. In one sentence, what is your book about? Explain what it’s about in a way that makes people want to read it.
3. Write what you like! Write in the genre(s) you like and read yourself.
4. Allow yourself to write a lousy first draft. Just write it! Let yourself just finish the book. Then you can worry about editing, revising, etc. Don’t spend a lot of time revising and perfecting as you go along – you may end up deleting that whole chapter later!
“Writing is rewriting.” Michener: “I’m not a very good writer, but I am a good rewriter." Amateurs fall in love with every word they write.
5. Eliminate bad habits: tobacco, alcohol, drugs. Start an exercise routine to increase your stamina – it will also make you smarter. Try meditation.
6. Understand that writing is hard, and don’t get discouraged about it. Samuel Johnson: “What is written without effort is generally read without pleasure.”
7. Be brave. The secret of getting published: “Don’t give up.” You cannot lose if you won’t fail. Keep learning, revising, attending workshops.
I like number four the best, because it is the hardest for me (but what does he mean in number five, eliminate alcohol?! That really doesn't make any sense...)
Sidebar: I've noticed there's been a jump in my followers! Okay, so maybe most people wouldn't get excited about having 15 whole people following their blog, however I am not most people.
Therefore, in honor of all fifteen of my followers, I am going to have a contest next week where I shall give away a book about writing. I haven't decided what book I am giving out. The only one I have right now on my book shelf is The Complete Idiot's Guide to Getting Publishing, which is a great book, but the edition is from like ten years ago which means they are probably recommending you write about vampires which we all know right now is a BAD DECISION.
So I will go shopping this weekend and pick out something fabulous! Stay tuned next week for some details on what you need to do to win! :)