Monday, March 21, 2011

Book Review in Three Q's - E. Lockhart's Dramarama!

Hey lookie here! New feature: Book reviews!

Disclaimer: I'm only going to blog about books I like. I'm choosing to focus on positive reviews and here's my somewhat rational rationale:
a) Just because I don't like something, doesn't mean it isn't good. I have my own taste and preferences and would feel really, really, really, (REALLY), bad if a writer was googling themselves (it happens) and came across something negative that I posted. I don't always know what I'm talking about after all (don't tell my husband).
b) I'm a positive person. I would rather broadcast happy thoughts into the blogosphere than negative. That's just how I roll. (side bar: sometimes I do just wanna talk smack, but it's always in good fun and about fictional things. Like Dora...curse her and her crazy boot monkey!).
c) if I'm posting a book review, you know it's good because otherwise, it wouldn't be here. So you know what to expect when you see the blog title.

Which leads us to....

This weekend I read a FABULOUS contemporary YA book by E. Lockhart called Dramarama.

Here's the sitch:
Two theater-mad, self-invented
fabulositon Ohio teenagers.
One boy, one girl.
One gay, one straight.
One black, one white.
And SUMMER DRAMA CAMP.
It's a season of hormones,
gold lame,
hissy fits,
jazz hands,
song and dance,
true love,
and unitards
that will determine their future
--and test their friendship.
(from Amazon product description)

Best thing about this book?
So many things. The voice, the characters that jump off the page (and sing - badly or not - in your face), the relationship between the MC and the best friend, and the dialogue is incredibly well done (which is difficult when you have a cast of characters.) And, since I did some drama in high school and minored in dance in college, it totally brought me back to my performing days.

Favorite line:
"In Brenton, Ohio, where I'm from, committing suicide would be redundant."

Why you should read this book (especially if you are a YA writer):
The dialogue (which I already mentioned, but it's important enough to mention again). The characters sound like teenagers without being forced to use a ton of cliches or slang. They even make up their own slang. The MC is a flawed, but likeable character that makes mistakes. The mistakes are understandable and she learns from them and by the end of the book, you can tell that she's changed/grown (HELLO character arc!)


Stay tuned because sometime in the near future I'm going to be waxing intellectual about an element of fiction writing I still have a hard time with: transitions!

1 comment:

  1. Fun review, Mare! You may entice me to read more. Yikes. How to fit it all in with all my blog reading?

    Transitions: Yep. hard. Line breaks work for me.

    ReplyDelete