Friday, July 30, 2010

Ah, the wonderment of the English Language

So, one of the things about being a writer is word selection. Using words that will create the best reaction in the reader, and adequately reveal the author's intentions so the reader will be pulled into the world of the characters.


In English, there is no lack of words that all mean basically the same thing, and as a writer it is your job to pick the best ones (and then not use them too much because you don't want the reader to notice and be pulled out of the story.)


While writing about my underwear challenge, I started thinking about all the different words we use for underpants. And then I decided to make a list, mostly for my own amusement (what?You think I write all this crazy crap for anyone else?)


Here it is, in no particular order:



Underwear

Underpants

Under-roos

Panties

Lingerie

Knickers

Wonderpants

Undergarments

Delicates

Undies

Skivvies

Gutchies (really, that's what my mom always called them when I was a kid)

Unmentionables (which just makes me think about Pride and Predjudice and Zombies)


Okay, that's all I got right now. Anything I missed?

1 comment:

  1. Kristen calls em "chonies!" Never heard that one!

    ReplyDelete