Saturday, June 19, 2010

Revisions....revisions....more revisions...and what the hell am I doing anyways?

I know, I know.

All three people who read this blog are out there going "Hey, where the heck have you been?"

Well, fear no longer, I am back and blogging again. You don't need to sob with quiet desperation into your pillow at night, wondering what I am up to.

As the title of this blog post indicates, I have been revising. A LOT. And learning a lot about writing.

You're thinking..."wait, didn't you write a book? Don't you know a lot about writing?"

And the answers to those questions are Yes and No. Yes, I wrote a book. Was it any good? Parts of it, maybe. Do I know anything about writing? Yes, I learned a lot while I was writing it, but not enough to write something I am willing to share with anyone other than my wonderful online writing critique group.

You see, when I started this whole thing, I knew nothing, absolutely nothing about writing a novel. Plot, scene structure, character development, all of that was just something I totally winged. So, what I have is 77,000 words that were just spewed out of my head with no real forethought or insight. It's like a stream of consciousness (but NOT in a cool, Jack Kerouac kind of way).

For the last few weeks, I have been reading about writing. I went to the library and checked out fine writing guides such as the aptly titled: "So You Want To Write" and the even more appropriate - in my case - "Writing Fiction for Dummies".

And now I am revising like a mo fo. Fixing, adding conflict, tension, and hopefully a semibelievable plot. ;)

Also, with a group of my nearest and dearest, I am starting a new blog at http://theperfectpandemonium.blospot.com/

The Pandemonium will begin soon....



No comments:

Post a Comment