Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Why Dora is bad for your kids

My first beef with Dora, is actually with her parents. That's right. Where are they? And who lets their five year old go through the enchanted forest, past the volcano to the castle with nothing but a monkey named boots to protect her? I'll tell you what that is, it's bad parenting. Why don't you just give her some scissors to run with while she is on her journey?

Sure, sometimes she has that Diego guy with her, who is a bit older, but I just don't like the look in his eye.

My second problem with the show is Swiper. For those of you who haven't watched Dora the Explorer, Swiper is a kleptomanical fox who appears for the sole purpose of stealing (or "swiping") something from Dora, thus delaying her parentally unsupervised travels.

When Swiper comes on the scene, Dora encourages her audience to say "Swiper no swiping" which stops Swiper from being able to take anything.

My problem with this is, what are we teaching our kids? They are going to grow up and be attacked one day while walking through Central Park, and they will quickly figure out that saying "Mugger no mugging!" is not going to help them.

So, those are my problems with Dora the Explorer. I feel much better now. :)

2 comments:

  1. I love this! You're freaking hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Mugger, no mugging!"
    Good point! That's reminds me of "Stop or I'll toot my whistle." You might recall a time when a rapist kidnapper murderer was roaming the UNR campus and our only line of defence was a whisle! It's like they are trying to teach them young to advertise vulnerabilities that can be exploited by criminals already! *sigh*

    ReplyDelete